Tuesday, September 11, 2012

On Allowing Your Child to Eat Sweet Stuff

I've had some concerned friends asking me whether I allow my child to consume lots of sweet stuff especially after reading Auni's blog and watching her video on baking (her blog is http://itsybitsyskitchen.blogspot.sg).

Truth is, I allow my child to eat chocolates and such once they are above 2 years of age. But of course, as a parent, I am concerned about their health. So, I only allow them to indulge in the treat about once a week.

Auni loves to bake. And since it is a very good hobby, I encourage her to do so. She searches the YouTube for baking ideas and will share with me what she wants to bake. For now, it is a weekly kind of thing (I hope we can still do this even when I've returned to work).

However, Auni does not always eat what she bakes. She loves the act of baking itself, but not the end product. For e.g. she prepared the No Bake Lemon Cheesecake for hubby and me but she didn't have any for herself. Reason being, she does not like cheesecakes. But she loves to make them. Auni loves chocolates. Dark chocolate or milk chocolate. I give my kids dark chocolate. We have a bar of Old Gold dark chocolate stored in our house.

I know of parents who totally do not allow their children to consume sweets or chocolates and no fast food either. And giving their child purely organic food. Like I've said, I'm not one of those parents. I allow my children the occasional indulgence. I'm sure those parents have their reasons for doing so.

What about you? Do you allow your child to eat sweet stuff?

2 comments:

Suqi said...

Hi! I'm from mummysg forum. Your girls have unique and beautiful names! What gives u the inspiration for their names? Raising 3 kids isn't easy! Salute u, mummy. I can't handle well with only one! Nice blog! All the best :)

Choco said...

Thanks :) I just chose the name based on the meaning and also the sound of it...haha...

Indeed raising kids ain't easy. It doesn't matter whether we have 1 or 2 or 10, kids are a handful and we mummies love 'em all the same :)