Thursday, April 29, 2010

Baby Boy or Baby Girl

The issue of the gender of babies goes a long way back. In some cultures, they believe that having a boy will carry on the family line. Some people also believe that it is important to have a balance of boys and girls in the family.

You see, I'm blessed with 2 girls. And I am so glad that I have 2 girls. But somehow, people assume that I might be secretly wishing for a boy. And they are only being nice when they say "It's ok, your next one will be a boy" or "Try for a boy next time round."

Well, here's the big secret: I'm not hoping or wishing for a boy. Not that I have anything against boys. I grew up being the only girl. I had two elder brothers. It's great having brothers. They look out for you and no one dares bully you. But I've always wanted a sister. I wanted someone to share clothes with and share thoughts with. Go shopping together. You don't get these with brothers. So after I had Princess, I really hoped for another girl. Just so that Princess gets to experience sisterhood; one that I never get to experience.

But after having two girls, I'm very comfortable with girls. In fact, if I do want another one, I want a girl again. Not that I'm planning for one. The fact is, the issue of who to take care of the child will come up again. And also, after almost giving birth to Baby in the car, I'm afraid that for the next one, I might give birth in the car or at home!

People don't understand why I do not want a boy. They think I'm hiding behind this lie so as to mask my disappointment of not having a boy. So, I've come up with some reasons why I do not want a boy.

1) I'm very comfortable with girls.

2) I can doll up my girls but not a boy.

3) Reason no. 3 is actually the main reason why I do not want a boy now. It's coz, if I have a boy, then the boy would be lonely as he would be the only boy with 2 elder sisters. Then I would have to try for no. 4 and hope for a boy again. And if I don't have a boy, I would have to try again for no. 5. Coz I would feel guilty for the boy as he would feel what I felt when I was young.

Ok, you might say that I'm thinking too much. Maybe I am. But I just want to be fair for my kids and I want them to be happy. I've tried telling people these reasons but of course, no one believes me. So nowadays, when someone tells me that hopefully my next one will be a boy, I just look at them and smile.

Coz I know, I'm not trying for baby no. 3 anytime soon. The shop is closed...

No comments: