Friday, March 26, 2010

Breastfeeding Obstacles

Baby is currently on total breastmilk. I told myself that for No.2, I really want to do total breastfeeding. I didn't manage to do that for Princess when she was a baby. With Princess, I did a combination of breastmilk and formula. That continued for about 4 months till she was totally on formula.

When I had Princess, I was clueless about breastfeeding. I know that it is good but I didn't know the challenges that came with it. I had mastitis twice. Oh, I can still remember the fever, the chills, sore and bleeding nipples. I didn't know how to manage all that. I didn't know who or where to ask for help. In the end, I gave up. I felt guilty when I stopped the breastmilk totally. Trust me, up till now, I still feel guilty and regret for not giving Princess the best that she deserved.

Learning from the experience I had with Princess, I told myself that No. 2 will be different. That I will perservere and not give up breastfeeding. I want to give my child the best. On top of that, I can save on buying formula milk. I did my research on breastfeeding. I went into forums to seek help from mommies who breastfeed their babies. With all that, I ventured into total breastfeeding as soon as Baby was born.

At KKH, I learnt from lactation consultants on massaging the breast and the tips on breastfeeding. I invested in an electric breastpump. Again, I perservered through sore nipples. I must say that though it hasn't been smooth sailing, the experience I had breastfeeding Baby so far has been so much better than the experience with Princess. No bleeding nipples, no mastitis. I guess this comes from experience and research.

However, there were other obstacles that I had to face when breastfeeding Baby - Human Obstacles.

First, it was my mom. She knows that breastmilk is the best for Baby. Naturally, for the first few days, Baby keeps on wanting breastmilk every 1 to 2 hours. And of course, I had people coming to visit. At the same time, everytime Baby wants her feed, I have to leave the guests to feed her. So mom suggested supplementing with formula coz she said maybe Baby was not getting enough from me. I told her that my breastmilk was enough but she insisted that since Baby keeps on wanting milk, then it must be that she's not getting enough. I told Mom that I will only feed breastmilk and nothing else. After awhile, I guess Mom moticed that I was determined and that Baby seems contented and therefore she agreed that I was doing the right thing. Now whenever people come to visit and I have to excuse myself, she will always tell the guests that I'm doing total breastfeeding and that breastmilk is the best for Baby.

2nd obstacle- Hubby. Hubby was not happy that I was waking up every hour or so at night to feed Baby. He said that I was not taking care of myself and therefore suggested supplementing with formula. Of course I said "No". I told him that I'm giving Baby the best she can ever get that she can never get from formula. Whenever I read anything on the benefits of breastfeeding, I will show it to him. Now, he supports me totally in breastfeeding.

3rd obstacle- Mother-in-law. MIL came over to visit and held Baby in her arms. After awhile, Baby started to cry. Hubby told her that Baby wants milk and that Baby was on total breastmilk. MIL said "That's good!" Then she stopped herself and backtracked and said "Oh, but when you go back to work, how are you going to feed her? Better supplement with formula." (MIL had volunteered to care for baby when I return to work)

I told MIL that I'll express some breastmilk that she can feed the baby with while I work. She said it's not possible. I told her that it is possible and it has been done and people are still doing it. She was not convinced. She then tried talking to hubby to get me to supplement Baby with formula milk so that it'll be easier for her when I return to work.

Haiz! I'm so tired of having to explain to people why I'm doing this. I know this is the best for my child and I want only the best for my child. So I am standing firm on total breastfeeding. Now, I'm seriously thinking of taking unpaid leave after my maternity leave so that I can continue breastfeeding Baby. MIL came over yesterday and asked me when I was returning to work and I replied "Next year". She was shocked but hubby told her that I was thinking of extending my leave. She then kept quiet.

MIL is a very nice lady. But why is it that breastfeeding comes with a lot of obstacles? Everyone knows the benefits of breastfeeding but they keep thinking that it is a hassle. Shouldn't I be the one who decide if it is a hassle for me? If I don't find it a hassle, then why should others bother. Urrgghh! So frustrating.

Anyway, I'm still determined to go on breastfeeding. I really hope that I will not give up even when faced with obstacles.

3 comments:

MieVee @ MummysReviews.com said...

Hihi, I am visiting from MummySG and to give your moral support. Many people around us do not know the full benefits of exclusive breastfeeding for the mother and baby, so they would offer unwanted advice at times. You have been great in persevering through all these. :)

Breastfeeding is THE BEST gift for your baby and you are doing all the right things.

Feel free to drop by my website too. Take care!

Choco said...

Thank you for your support. Yup, I do agree that many do not know the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding. Sometimes it does get frustrating when you have to deal with all these - not once, but many times :)

MieVee @ MummysReviews.com said...

After your explanation, your family have become more supportive. Things would get easier over time. Moreover, breastfed babies tend to be more 'solid' and grandparents love that!