Thursday, March 25, 2010

Finally Gave Birth!!!

I gave birth to a bundling baby girl on 19 March 2010. Baby arrived at 3.29a.m. and weighed 3.275kg. Baby arrived a day after sis-in-law's baby. We ended up being in the same hospital and were discharged the same day. Great that I had company at the hospital!

However, I totally didn't expect baby to arrive the way she did. It was totally unexpected and I almost gave birth to her in the car!

I waited up for hubby that night (19 March 2010) as he was working late. Hubby returned at 2a.m. and I was online. Shut down my notebook and talked to hubby for awhile. At 2.30a.m. we decided to sleep. As I was lying down and trying to get some sleep, I felt pain in my lower back area. I thought that it was nature call and went to the washroom to relieve myself. But when I came out from the washroom, the pain was still there. I told hubby about it and he made me a glass of hot Milo thinking that it was just stomach pain. As I drank the Milo, I realised that the pain was just around the lower back area and when I looked at my watch, I noticed that the pain came every 5mins. I told my husband that I might be in labour. Called Mum and told her that we were sending Princess over to her place as I needed to go to the hospital.

On the way to Mum's place, I called again and asked for Dad to come down to get Princess from us as I didn't think that I could wait any longer. Reached Mum's place at 3a.m. Dad took Princess from us - she was asleep and luckily I had packed her bag in advance so all her necessities were in the bag - and we gave him Princess's bag.

Hubby then drove us to KKH. On the way, I looked at the clock and noticed that the contractions came every 2minutes. I asked hubby how long it would take to reach KKH and he said 15mins. I told him that I need him to reach there in 5mins. The contractions then came every min or so I thought. I could feel the baby pushing out even though my waterbag hasn't burst yet.

We reached KKH at about 3.20a.m. When we got out of the car, I couldn't walk anymore coz baby was pushing out. Hubhy wanted to carry me but I told hubby to get help - seriously, how could he carry me??!! Unfortunately, there was no one around. Hubby ran and got a wheelchair. I couldn't even sit in the wheelchair. I was in complete pain. Hubby rushed me to the delivery suite.

When we reached the delivery suite, the nurse took over and asked me how frequent my contractions were. They wheeled me into the delivery suite at 3.25p.m. Quickly got me undressed and dressed me in the hospital robe. I told them I'm GBS positive and had to have the antibiotics. Nurse tried to put the ctg while asking me not to push. I told her I couldn't as the baby's coming. The nurse then wanted to check how far my cervix has dilated and that was when my waterbag burst. Hubby said he could see the baby's hair sticking out at that moment. As soon as my waterbag burst, the nurse pressed the alarm for "Code ....". I've no idea what code it was. She asked my hubby to put the oxygen mask on me. I kept pushing it away so hubby had to hold it down. My gynae swept into the room just in time. One push and baby was out at 3.29a.m.

So to say, I wasn't administered any antibiotics as there was no time. Luckily baby is fine though I have to monitor her. So far, everything's fine. I'm thankful that my gynae was around. Gynae told my hubby that for the 3rd child, he might have to come earlier or I will give birth before I reach the hospital.

The nurses then came to congratulate me and kept telling me that my delivery was very fast. One told me that I probably had a very high threshold of pain and that is why I didn't feel anything prior to the first pain I felt.

I was just thankful that we made it to the delivery suite in time. I guess for the 3rd one, I better make an appointment to deliver before EDD. At the same time, there is a fear of having the 3rd one for fear that I might not make it to the hospital in time. That was the only time I learnt to appreciate my hubby's F1 driving skills.

At the same time, I have to say a big Thank You Doc K T Tan for delivering my baby! And thank you to the wonderful nurses in KKH! I've heard people complaining about the service there but seriously, I've stayed in the hospital thrice and each time, I felt that the doctors, the nurses and staffs there were all very professional and caring towards their patients. I really enjoyed my stay there!

No comments: